Triathlon: Swimming, Cycling and Running
Triathlon is a Tri-Discipline sport involving swimming (in sea, rivers or others), cycling and running. The first triathlons took place in the 1920’s in France.
Triathlon races and distances
According to the ITU (International Triathlon Union), the official triathlon competitions are:
- Ironman Triathlon: it is an extreme race, with the longest distances in triathlon: 3.8 km of swimming, 180.2 km of cycling and 42.2 km of running (a full marathon!).
- Long course (Half-Ironman or Ironman 70.3): 1.9 km of swimming, 90 km of cycling and 21.1 km of running (half-marathon).
- Intermediate course: this is the most common and Olympic distance. The distances are 1.5 km swimming, 40 km cycling and 10 km running.
- Sprint format: 750m swimming, 20 km cycling and 5 km running.
In each Triathlon competition, there are transitions. It allows athletes to switch from swimming to cycling (called T1) and from cycling to running (called T2). The transition time is included in the competition and is part of the final official time. It is therefore an important parameter and strategic moment of the race.
There are a few basic rules to know. Triathlon is an individual sport and athletes are not allowed to receive assistance from people outside the race (with the exception of the help of volunteers who donate food and water during the race).
In addition, time penalties may be applied for cycling, for a poor transition or in the event of a fault. For example, the athlete's helmet must be worn before getting on the bike and it must remain until the triathlete gets off the bike.
5 sections are timed during the race, these times are added to create a total time, as follows:
From the start of the race (swim),
+ The time spent in the first transition zone (T1),
+ The start of the bike race,
+ The time spent in the second transition zone (T2),
+ The start of the run until the end.
And of course, athletes are not allowed to use an electric bike!
Our tips for Triathlon Equipment
If your are new to the discipline, you will need some triathlon equipment to cross the finish line:
- Bathing cap
- Road bike
- Sorting shoes
- Sports nutrition and hydration
- Running shoes
On Alltricks, you will find all the triathlon equipment you will need to participate in a triathlon event. We have in stock the best products from the biggest brands: 2XU, Zoot, Skins, Fuji, Mizuno...
1€ - 10499€